It is snowing! Big beautiful flakes are falling outside. There is a light dusting in the backyard. I woke this morning to the sound of falling sleet which was replaced with a dusting of snow which was then replaced with rain-snow mix and now we are back to snow.
What does someone do when they don’t want to be out in it? How above making granola? Has anyone ever looked at the price of “gluten free” granola? It is ridiculous! A 12 oz bag can cost as much as $6 a bag. Why? Probably because it says “Gluten Free” on the bag.
I found an Alton Brown recipe on Food Network which I tweaked to fit my needs. My needs being what I had in the kitchen and/or freezer. I’m not going out in the snow!
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the oats, almonds, pecan pieces and coconut.
- In a small saucepan melt the coconut oil with the brown sugar, maple syrup and sea salt. Pour over the oat mixture and stir to combine
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper, divide the granola mix between the 2 cookie sheets and place in the preheated oven.
- Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Allow to cool then stir in the dried fruit. Enjoy!